We started off at touring the Medici chapels and then we made our way to the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore and the home of Brunelleschi's dome...A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Sean and I had both read a book about the building of Brunelleschi's dome, so it was so much fun to see it in person! The dome is an engineering masterpiece and it is still the largest masonry dome in the world. A pretty fantastic creation for a man in 1436.
Of course we had to climb to the top! We climbed 463 stairs for this breathtaking view...all I have to say is WOW!
We also got to see some incredible art in Florence. We saw Botticelli's Birth of Venus and Leonardo's Adoration of the Magi. The art highlight of Florence was definitely Michelangelo's David. We saw a thousand and five statues on our trip, but Michelangelo's David is by far the most amazing piece of art I have ever seen. It's so beautiful and so perfect. I guess I had thought it was just famous for being famous, but it really is a masterpiece. Three cheers for Michelangelo.

This is Ponte Vecchio—a Medieval bridge across the Arno River. It’s very cute, and filled with little shops…jewelry shops that is. When you walk down the bridge everywhere you turn there is beautiful sparkling jewelry. It was every girl’s dream. Cha ching!On our final night in Florence we climbed (yes more climbing) up to Piazza Michelangelo to watch the sunset. The Piazza is on a hill just south of the city so you get to see these incredible views of Florence.
It was gorgeous. It was one of those breathtaking views that you could sit and stare at for a lifetime. A perfect way to end our Florence adventure.
Our flight to Paris was leaving from Pisa, about an hour outside of Florence. We took the train to Pisa and had about 2 hours before our flight left. Just enough time to check out a leaning tower. We hopped in a cab, drove through the streets of Pisa, got out and took a few pictures, and then we were on our way back to the airport.
It was really fun to see it, but it was definitely smaller than imagined. If you ever want to boost tourism in a small town, simply build a small tower with a terrible foundation, and the crowds will come flocking. Think about it Winslow.
If you would like to see all of our pictures from Florence, click HERE.
10 comments:
What a quaint little town. i love all the red roofs. your post makes me really want to go there!!
So fun! I can't believe you got to see all that cool stuff. It looks amazing.
Lucky!! That looks so fun. Some day I will go to Italy...
I am pretty jealous . . . someday I will live the RPHL dream!!!
Nice pic of the naked statue. It's the only other man I'll see naked in my life time. Thanks. J/k
Isn't the David A-MAZING??? I thought that it was just a bunch of hype until I saw it in person. It was so beautiful I almost started crying! Did I ever sing that song to you "Will you take me to Florence? And buy me a new dress..." If not I need to, its hilarious and now it is stuck in my head thanks to your post!
so fun to look through all your photos, and remember... We also went to that michalengelo pizza across the river, and painted the Duomo from the distance.
I really love the panaramas. Can I have them in poster size to decorate my house with? So beautiful...
I'm really glad you all got to go.
Hi Paige, it's Rachel from the old 5-4. Your trip looks divine! And great commentary as well.
Love all the pictures Paige! Looks like so much fun. I'd love to go Italy one day!
So, I was reading through your comments...and, Angela, I had the "will you take me to Florence" song in my head too. I was laughing about it when I read your comment!
Post a Comment