Saturday, October 18, 2008

We'll Always Have Paris

Our final destination was Paris…the City of Lights. We only had a few days in Paris, but we got to see just about everything on our list.

We started out at the Palace of Versailles. This is was a high priority on my list—I’ve always wanted to see Versailles! It was the palace of Louis XIV and the location of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles which marked the end of World War I.



The palace was so beautiful and so ornate. It was especially fun to stand in the Hall of Mirrors and think about all of the historical events that took place in that very room. I loved it!

The gardens were also a spectacular site.

Our next stop was Notre Dame. We LOVED this building.



The gothic architecture is fantastic and was so different from all of the other churches we had seen. The stained glass was also a spectacular site.


Next, we decided to take a stroll through the Luxemburg Gardens. It was a cold and cloudy day, but the gardens were beautiful.

It was fun because all the trees had started to change colors, so there were these gorgeous fall leaves everywhere. We don’t get to see many fall leaves in Phoenix, so it made for a great stroll through the park.

It was technically fall, but then in the center of the garden it was still summer! There were still lots of bright, beautiful flowers. We were just sitting in the park enjoying the scenery, so we decided to practice our photography skills. Such a beautiful park!




Of course no trip to Paris would be complete without a trip to the Eiffel Tower!

We decided to go just as the sun was setting so we could see it at night. It is a really amazing structure, and the blue lights made it glow.



Here is the view from the top. (Luckily they had an elevator, so we didn’t have to the climb stairs this time. Yay!)





Next stop is the Louvre! By this point we had seen a thousand museums, so we decided to stick with the highlights at this one. We still saw lots of great art and beautiful sculptures.

Of course we visited Leonardo’s Mona Lisa (along with a thousand other tourists). It really was fun to see her in person, but she’s so small!! The whole time I was thinking, wow, Leonardo must be looking down thinking, "Hey guys, I’ve done much better than this. Why the big fuss?” Funny how certain things become so famous, isn't it? But still...it was great to see it in person!
Last but not least, we took a walk around the Champs-Élysées and the Arc de Triomphe.

Our European vacation had now come to a close. It was time to pack up and head home. We had a spectacular time in Europe and it was everything we had hoped for and more!!! Thanks for letting us share our photos with you.

To see the rest of our pictures from Paris, click HERE.

4 comments:

randi said...

Paige that was beautiful! I know you said that the Paris people were not as nice as some of the other places, but paris in fall looks like a dream! I loved it! so beautiful. thanks for sharing your trip, i loved re-living it with you!

Jessica said...

I love, Love, LOVE all the pics you've posted! & I admire you for how diligent you were at posting on your blog to share with us during your busy trip! I SO want to see the Louvre (& everything else)! Why do I feel like saying "Congratulations"? That's weird... :)

Red said...

I love the picture of you soaking in the moment at the top of the Tour Eiffel... Someday I will breathe that Parisian air!

Red said...

I hope... :)