Monday, October 6, 2008

When in Rome: Part One

Our next stop was Rome. Rome was a lot like I imagined heaven...pizza and gelato on every corner. I only hope the gelato is as good in heaven as it is in Italy. We adored Italy. Our time in Rome was filled with yummy Italian food, gelato everyday (sometimes twice a day), and lots and lots of historical sites. It was a history lover's dream come true. I literally felt like a kid in a candy store.

We started off with a tour of Ancient Rome. I fell in love with the Roman Forum and Colosseum faster than you can say "Beware the Ides of March."




I was literally beaming as we walked through the Roman Forum. We were walking on the same paths as great emperors such as Constantine and Julius Caesar. It was just incredible.



This is my absolute favorite picture of the Roman Forum...courtesy of Sean's fabulous panoramic photography skills.


Our next adventure was a tour of the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basilica. We love, love, loved the Vatican and St. Peter's. The Vatican Museums are FILLED with art, sculptures, and amazing frescos. The Sistine Chapel was as beautiful as we imagined and we just stared at it in awe. Michelangelo has quickly become my idol!

After the incredible sights in the museums, we headed into St. Peter's Basilica. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped to the spectacular marble floor. It is the most beautiful building I have ever seen. It was so beautiful and so grand, it's hard to explain in words. Of course the pictures don't do it ANY justice, but here are just a few of my favorites.





After exploring the basilica we tightened our shoelaces and began climbing to the top of the dome. Halfway up we got a chance to stop and admire the dome up close. This is me admiring the gorgeous mosaics. Check out the tiny pieces by my hand, and the huge cherubs that they create in the background. Just amazing! I am seriously want to take up mosaics as my new hobby.


This is Sean climbing up the 323 steps to the top of the dome. You can see how tiny the hallway is. Can you say claustrophobia?

It was a long, steep climb, but it was SO worth it for this view...



We really enjoyed our trip to the Vatican...definitely one of the highlights of our trip!



7 comments:

ALYN said...

Hard to imagine buildings that big, isn't it? I didn't know you could go up in the dome! I was really overwhelmed by the ornateness of St. Peters.

Great pictures, I couldn't get them to enlarge though.

janae said...

Oh. my. gosh. I so hate you. In an i-love-you-but-i-wish-i-were-doing-what-you're-doing sort of way. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!!

ps. the pictures enlarged just fine for me

randi said...

wowza! those are two great posts. i can't believe you saw so much, actually i guess considering your super planning skills i can. great pictures! hopefully someday i can follow in your foosteps. can't wait to see more!!!

thequailfamily said...

Hi Page! I stumbled across your blog and thought I would drop you a line. Looks like you are havng an awesome holiday. Enjoy yourselves!

Angela said...

Holy Cow that looks amazing! Fabulous!

Leah said...

Great pictures! Can't wait to see more!

Mollie Lawrence said...

You got to see EVERYTHING! What a great trip!