Friday, June 4, 2010

Ode to the Donut


Did you know that today is National Donut Day? National Donut Day was started in 1938, as a tribute to the women who served donuts to soldiers during World War I. As a history buff, I love this…and as a donut lover, I love it even more!

The donut really is a national treasure, so I think it’s perfectly fitting to honor it with its own special day. I love donuts big and small, chocolate covered and glazed, and especially donuts with sprinkles.

In honor of donut day, I have written the following haiku:

Fried goodness of dough
Oh donut I love you dear
Donut Day hooray!

You can celebrate today with a free donut at the following stores: 
  • Krispy Kreme: All customers receive a free doughnut. No purchase necessary.
  • Dunkin’ Donuts: Free doughnut with the purchase of a beverage.
  • LaMar's: All customers receive a free Ray's Original Glazed doughnut. No purchase necessary.
 Happy Donut Day!

4 comments:

Red said...

I am rolling around laughing right about...NOW! How long did you spend on that haiku, Ms. Donut-Lover? :)

Ashley and Kyle said...

I love National Donut Day...aka Free Donut Day! Those donuts are sure delicious, and they probably appreciate the tribute you paid to them. Well done! Maybe they should have a national sprinkles day, since they make every donut that much better.

Scott and Collette said...

Aww man, I can't believe I missed National Donut Day--I just love them so much. Not to mention, we finally live in a place where we can get real maple bars instead of long johns!!

Angela said...

How did I miss this post?! This is especially upsetting because I have been obsessed with donuts since I've entered my 3rd trimester. I dream about maple bars all the time! I think I am going to make a throw pillow with your haiku on it. Perhaps the pillow will be donut shaped hmmm....