Friday, August 20, 2010

Baconomic Indicator

I’m currently designing an educational video about key economic indicators—for work that is, because heaven knows I certainly wouldn’t do that just for fun. Anyway, as a result I’ve been doing a lot of research on economic indicators. My husband found this article about bacon as an economic indicator and it pretty much made my day.

Did you know we are currently in peak-bacon consumption season? Well, we are—with all of those ripe tomatoes, we need some major amounts of bacon to make the deliciousness that is the BLT. As a devoted BLT lover, I can totally wrap my head around the current pork belly shortage we are experiencing.

So the moral of the story is we are loving our bacon right now, and as a result, the price of bacon is on the rise. Economists tell us that this is a great sign for our economy! Score one point for bacon! According to this article, bacon is one “luxury” item that we American’s just aren’t willing to give up. And I say good for us. Bacon lovers of the world unite! Bring us out of the depths of recession and start making our economy sizzle. Bacon—be our beacon!

4 comments:

randi said...

love it! especially the ending line. it makes me want to stand up and cheer for bacon. gimmee a "b"...!

Kate said...

While we're at it, let's here it for tomato plants. After all, what would the BLT be without the T.

Leah said...

Paige! Ben and I laughed so hard when we read this. I too love the BLT, little did I know it's effects on the economy. We actually recently heard about a new bacon flavored Mayonnaise. Is that crazy or what? What would we do without our bacon?

Red said...

ssssssssssssssss....

(bacon sizzling)