It’s so cute and
so easy, so I thought I’d share the DIY instructions with everyone. The great
thing is that you can make one for any holiday. It would also make a cute
decoration for a kid’s room--using a child’s name and favorite colors. You can
purchase the supplies at any Michael’s, Jo Ann’s, or Hobby Lobby for about $5 -
$7. Can't beat it!
Here is what you will need:
- Wooden board and letters
- Scrapbook paper
- Spray glue
- Ribbon
- Glue gun
- Mod Podge
- Glitter
Step 1: Sand down any rough
edges on the wooden board and letters. Paint the edges of the board and
letters. The front of the letters will be covered with glitter, so you
technically don’t have to paint them, but I put a quick thin coat on the front
of the letters in case any part of the wood shows through.
Step 2: Spray a light coat
of spray glue (I used Easy-Tack) onto the board and glue the scrapbook paper to
the board. No need to cut the paper down to size—just apply the entire piece of
paper with the excess hanging over the edges.
Step 3: Time to glitter the
letters! I used Mod Podge and a paint brush to apply glue to the letters, and
then applied a fine glitter. (Martha Stewart’s glitter is my personal favorite.)
Step 4: This is the best
trick ever! To remove the excess paper from the edges, simply take sandpaper to
the edges and lightly sand off the excess paper. It leaves a perfectly clean
edge. Genius!
Step 5: I know what you'r thinking--who wants glitter all over their house? Well, not to worry! I have a solution to keep that glitter where it is meant to be. After the glitter has dried, spray the letter with aerosol hairspray and let them dry. It keeps the glitter stuck to the wood and not stuck to your floors.
Step 6: Using a staple gun,
attach ribbon to the back of the plaque.
Step 7: Using a glue gun, attach
the letters to the front of the plaque.
And voila you are done! Happy Spring!
4 comments:
darling! love the ribbon especially. And the pattern of the scrapbook paper.
so cute! i will definitely have to do this one day.
Not all that glitters is messy . . . thanks to your hairspray trick.
Great tip for the glitter. I never use it because it gets everywhere.
Post a Comment