Tuesday, March 9, 2010

This day in history...Barbie!

On this day in 1959, Barbie made her grand debut at the American Toy Fair in NYC. This is certainly a day to celebrate as Barbie brought me (and I’m sure many of you) hours and hours of childhood joy. I LOVED playing Barbies growing up. My dad built me my very own Barbie “Dream House” and it is because of Barbie that I am obsessed with high heeled shoes and clothes. If only I could have Barbie’s wardrobe…and corvette. I even have my very own “Teacher Barbie” that I proudly display in my office…chalkboard and all.

In honor of Barbie’s debut, here are a fun few facts about the blonde we all know and love. 
  • The full name of Barbie is "Barbie Millicent Roberts." She is from Willows, Wisconsin and went to Willows High School.
  • Barbie has had over 80 careers—including airline stewardess, doctor, pilot, astronaut, Olympic athlete, and even U.S. presidential candidate.
  • Barbie and Ken started dating in 1961.
  • Barbie has had more than a billion pair of shoes and over one hundred new additions to her wardrobe annually. (Every girl’s dream!!)
  • More than 105 million yards of fabric have gone into making Barbie doll and her friends' fashions, making Mattel one the largest apparel manufacturers in the world.
  • Placed head to toe, Barbie dolls and family members sold since 1959 would circle the earth more than seven times.
  • Every second, two Barbie dolls are sold somewhere in the world.
We love you Barbie, oh yes we do!

*These fun facts are courtesy of Mattel, Inc via http://collectdolls.about.com/library/blbarbiefacts.htm

4 comments:

Kate said...

Want to play Barbie: Queen of the Prom at WHR '10? The object of the game is to become popular by becoming the president of a school club, buy a new dress with your allowance from daddy, and get a steady boyfriend. I think it teaches some important life skills.

Angela said...

I just watched a Barbie DVD yesterday (while babysitting of course) where she was one of the 3 Musketeers! Happy Birthday Barbie!

Red said...

I will play BQotP if you promise to let me buy "Solo in the Spotlight" and be president of the Music Club.

Stephanie said...

Not only did you have a barbie dream house, but I'm sure most everyone who ever came to your house to play remembers the "barbie room"...Now that was cool!