Monday, July 18, 2011

From Hate to Love

There are very few things I love more in this world than movie theater popcorn and a fantastic movie. This weekend I enjoyed both as I went to see the final Harry Potter movie. You may not know this, but I am now a bona fide Harry Potter fan. It’s funny, I actually used to make fun of Harry Potter lovers. It’s true…as the books soared to popularity while I was in college, I hated all the hype. I’d get annoyed at everyone carrying around their Harry Potter books and I’d think, “There’s no way that a book about a boy wizard can be that good!”

Luckily, my friend Amy, from my book club, came to my rescue…and just in time! A few months ago we were talking and it came up that I had never read the Harry Potter series. She told me that I had to give them a try, so she lent me the first few books and made me promise to at least read the first one. She guaranteed me that if I read one, I’d be hooked. And she was so right! I immediately fell in love with the characters and wizarding world of Harry Potter. The writing and storytelling is phenomenal, and I couldn’t get through the books fast enough. I finished the books and caught up with all the movies just in time to watch the latest HP installment in the theater. The movie was AMAZING. I laughed, and cheered, and even got a little teary eyed. I didn’t wear a cape or bring a wand to the movie, but I am not ashamed to say that I heart Harry Potter.

So, if you’re like me and you’ve been resisting the Harry Potter phenomenon all these years, take it from me…get on the bandwagon! It’s too fantastic to miss. You still have time to watch the first seven movies and join in on the last hurrah! Coming from a former HP hater who is now a HP lover, I promise you won’t be disappointed. Thank you Amy for getting me hooked, and thank you Harry Potter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Amy for bringing Paige over! I am so glad to hear you loved the Harry Potter books.

{kim} said...

I used to be a hater too. But, for some strange reason when I was pregnant with Tatum I made it a goal to read all seven books before she was born...and I did it. I wouldn't say I'm a lover, but I enjoyed reading them. Still haven't seen the movies though...

randi said...

so glad you came over to the lover side! they are great even though they are about teenage wizards?! hopefully this weekend we will get to the movie. so glad you liked it! now that i think about it...you would totally be just like Hermione if you were a wizard! =)

Kristan said...

Shocked. Speechless. Wow.

I wouldn't call myself a hater. I read 1-4/5 (can't remember) and have seen movie 1-6, but I'm not obsessed and don't remember what happened in the last one and don't want to rewatch the movie before I see 7 (1 and 2). I get the hype. I'm fine with the hype. I just don't need to participate :)

Just talked to Kelli who has been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando twice. Yes, you read that correctly.

Angela said...

I love the books, they are so well written. They made me want to go to Hogwarts, especially all the delicious food scenes. Mmmmm...

Kate said...

I feel like I don't even know you right now . . .

ALYN said...

I only wish I would've been the one to talk you into them sooner.

But, better late than never. There's alot of depth, clues and connections throughout the series. She could be a mystery writer.