Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Girl with a Plan


Hi. My name is Paige, and I am a compulsive planner.

There, I said it. I always like to have a plan. I think it’s the organizer/perfectionist in me. I don’t know, I guess I just like to be prepared. It’s like that old saying, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” I plan little everyday things, so you can only imagine what happened to me when I decided to plan a trip to Europe.

That’s right! We’re going to Europe. In less than a month Sean and I will be flying across the Atlantic for a two week European vacation. We will be visiting London, Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Paris. I’ve been dreaming about visiting Europe my whole life, so I’m SO excited that it is finally here.

Well, I was definitely not going to “plan to fail” Europe, so of course the mad planning commenced. The only problem is, is that I can’t stop planning! I’ve been driving myself crazy with planning. I seriously have to stop. I’ve spent the past 8 months immersed in travel books, travel Web sites, articles, reviews, maps, spreadsheets, etc. (and yes, I said spreadsheets with an s. I have multiple spreadsheets okay—that’s how bad it is!) I even checked out some silly video called “Para Italiano” from the library. I watched it for 5 minutes and then decided I already know how to say gelato and pizza, so I’m good to go. How do you say compulsive planner in Italian?

Anyway, I’m here today to proclaim that starting tonight I am going to officially stop planning! No more travel books, or reading reviews, I’m just going to go…well...unless anyone has any last minute Europe tips for me. If you do, just let me know…I think I’ve still got some room on my spreadsheets.

7 comments:

Angela said...

You are hilarious! I can just picture you frantically typing with travel books stacked up all around you and smoke coming out of you ears! I wish I had a little bit of your planning talent, I am terrible at it. I'm so jealous you are going on a fun trip to Europe! Ciao! That means bye hah!

randi said...

so exciting! when we went to hawaii, i tried to get things organized but it appears i should have just hired you! you are way better than me. don't forget to scheduale in some "free time" and of course "nap time", those are a must on vacation. can't wait to hear all about it.

darbs said...

i'm really jelous. even with the planning :)

Life as a Greenstreet said...

sounds great, Paige. I have no European travel advice as I refuse to fly over the ocean (heaven help me if we get sent to Japan or Guam!) BUT, I will say as with any place you visit....walk around, look around and bring your journal to write about people, places and things you see. you think you'll remember all the details when you get home, but you really won't. have so much fun!

Paul-N-Daneen said...

jealousy is running through my mind right now. Paul refuses to leave the country. I guess I can't really blame him. How fun. so excited for you.

Stephanie said...

Very exciting! We are cruising to Ensanada Mexico with no children in two weeks. I can't wait either, but good that you are going now. I'm having a hard time leaving my kids but they'll be fine i'm sure. I can't wait to see pictures and hear how much fun you had!

Leah said...

Just so you know, compulsive planner in Italian is pianificatore coercitivo, that might come in handy on your trip. Have so much fun, can't wait to hear all about it!