Imagine the following: A large office building sits in the middle of the desert. It’s summertime. The weather outside is a blistering 114 degrees. However, the temperature inside the building is literally freezing. Inside this building, a short blond woman sits at her desk. The woman is wearing dress pants, close-toed shoes, and a cardigan sweater. She also has a throw blanket over her lap and has turned on her space heater in an attempt to warm up her frozen fingers so she can type.
What’s wrong with this picture? Everything! I am freezing to death and I live in Phoenix! And yes, you heard right…I actually have a space heater at my desk during the summer. Did I mention that I live on the surface of the sun? Dear Company, why must you turn the office into a walk-in freezer?
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), there are no specific regulations for office temperature. However, it does mandate that the workplace must be free from hazard. Last time I checked, turning your employees into popsicles is hazardous. I also read a study that found a direct correlation between temperature and productivity. A study by Cornell University found that the optimum temperature for productivity is 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Well, I guess we all have a new excuse for decreased productivity. “Sure thing boss, as soon as that temperature gets to 77 I’ll get right back to work.”

1 comment:
You poor girl! I hate being cold, especially when it's 115 degrees outside! Arizona just goes a little crazy with the AC sometimes........I love that you have a space heater, so funny!
Post a Comment