- On average, an astronaut gains 2.5 inches in height after just one week in space. Our spines are all squished together down here, but up there in zero gravity your spine column can chill out and relax. Wow, 2.5 inches! That would make me a whopping 5’ 3”. Well, if I ever get that call from America’s Next Top Model, I’ll just tell Tyra I need a few weeks in space first.
- Even astronauts get motion sickness sometimes. This made me feel somewhat better about myself, as I have always hated the fact that I am prone to motion sickness. But alas, even the pros get sick at times.
- Being an astronaut is not as glamorous as it seems. Things like showering, using the bathroom, and changing your clothes are not so easy in zero gravity. In fact, it’s kind of gross up there. As I was reading, I thought to myself, “Wait a second…the whole thing sounds a lot like camping.” And as you all know, I love NOT camping.
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
To Infinity and Beyond
When I was growing up I wanted to be an astronaut. I even wrote my “What I Want to be When I Grow Up” paper in 7th grade on becoming an astronaut. Last month for Book Club we read Packing for Mars, by Mary Roach (same author as Stiff). It’s a funny and informative book about astronauts, zero gravity, exploration, and all things space. It had some great insight into the everyday life of an astronaut. Here are a few interesting things I learned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
When I first started reading this I thought, "There is no way Paige could pee in space..."
space = camping!!! I had never thought of it like that. All the glamour and excitment is gone. Gone.
Post a Comment